When we look at serious incidents and near misses in GFG and the wider industry, we know that it is dangerous working on or near equipment that could unexpectedly start up or release damaging energy*.
It’s for this reason that we have developed a set of Life Savers for Isolation – Lockout, Tagout and Verification (LOTOv). These Life Savers are the critical behaviours we must all follow to eliminate and minimise the risk of fatalities and injuries when working on or near equipment.
*Damaging energy may include electrical, mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic, thermal, gravitational, radiation and magnetic.
Isolation – Lockout, Tagout and Verification Life Savers
I will only work on equipment that has been isolated and after my personal protection lock is applied.
While working with equipment, I will:
- Always follow approved isolation plans.
- Always apply my personal lock and confirm the isolation is effective before starting work.
- Always use the approved lockout tags and locks, and only use them for equipment isolation purposes.
- Never tamper with isolation lockout devices or another person’s lock/tag.
- Always put guards and safety systems back when work is completed.
If you see someone not following these Life Savers, you must intervene if it safe to do so. You can read about how to intervene in a few simple steps here.
Learn more about the Fundamentals, Life Savers and Be GFG Safe by visiting The Hub, our global intranet.